Flower MoundCentrally located in North Texas near the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, Flower Mound is a family-oriented community that prides itself on maintaining a small town atmosphere while embracing and fostering a dynamic economic development environment. Named for a 12.5-acre mound located in the center of town, its location on the shores of Lake Grapevine and excellent schools make it a great place to call home.
- A small-town atmosphere and country vibe despite recent growth.
- Highly-rated public schools, friendly neighbors and great community amenities offer a great quality of life.
- Lots of natural attractions and recreational areas, including 50+ miles of nature and bike trails, 11 miles of equestrian trails and the community activity center.
HISTORY:Settlement in the area around Flower Mound began when Presbyterians established a camp in the area in the 1840s. At first, the group held religious camps for two to three weeks at a time. By 1854, residents had established the Flower Mound Presbyterian Church southwest of Lewisville, Texas in an area commonly referred to as "Long Prairie". By 1920, the church had 126 members, and the pine-framed building was expanded in 1937. Early settlers such as Andrew Morriss and David Kirkpatrick are memorialized with street names in the town. The area remained sparsely populated for many decades after its initial settlement. On February 25, 1961, the town voted to to avoid annexation by the City of Irving. William Wilkerson, who became the town's second mayor, led the incorporation effort and helped improve the town's phone service and water supply. In 1970, when Flower Mound had 1,685 residents, Edward S. Marcus and Raymond Nasher began a "New town" planned community project with $18 million in loan guarantees from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development through their New Community program. Called "Flower Mound New Town", the project included elements of the new towns movement, including collaboration with North Texas State University (now the University of North Texas) to move the school's administrative offices to Flower Mound and conduct all research for the project. The project was featured in advertisements as late as 1974, but it was abandoned after residents threatened to disannex a portion of the town to thwart the development. The disannexation effort sharply divided the town, and led to a number of strongly contested elections between 1971 and 1976. In 1976, Texas Monthly awarded the project its "Bum Steer Award" after the project lost its federal loan guarantees. The construction of Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport 4 miles (6.4 km) south of the town in 1974 sparked a period of rapid growth. Between 1980 and 1990, Flower Mound's population increased from 4,402 to 15,896. It reached 50,702 in 2000, an average annual increase of nearly 13 percent per year during the 1990s, making it the nation's tenth fastest-growing community. Between 2000 and 2002, Flower Mound was the ninth fastest-growing municipality in the United States with a population of more than 50,000, and its population continued to increase by approximately five percent each year between 2000 and 2005. Controlled growth continues in central and western Flower Mound.
SCHOOLS:The majority of Flower Mound is served by the Lewisville Independent School District (LISD), with Argyle, Denton, Grapevine-Colleyville, and Northwest Independent School Districts also serving small areas of the Town. The Lewisville Independent School District serves over 52,000 students in 13 municipalities and spans approximately 127 square miles. LISD has a long-standing tradition of educational excellence. The highly qualified team, technology integration, community involvement and hardworking students make LISD a premiere school system in Texas.
No Matches Found